Types of Workers Comp Injuries

Types of compensation:

If your work-related injury has led to permanent damage to a body part, it’s possible to be compensated through a scheduled loss or percentage permanent partial award.

Percentage of Permanent Partial Disability

According to the Ohio Bureau of Worker’s Compensation “percentage of permanent partial disability awards are compensation for permanent impairments caused by a work-related injury or/and occupational disease”.  To start the process, an injured worker must apply. The application must be submitted at least 26 weeks from the last payment of temporary total compensation, salary continuation, wage loss or 26 weeks from the date of injury. Once an application is submitted, BWC will schedule you for an independent medical exam.  This examination will determine a whole person's impairment as a result of the work-related injury.  Based on the examiner’s recommendation, BWC will order an initial percentage of permanent partial award.

An objection to this award may be filed by either the injured worker or the employer.  If an objection is filed, the Industrial Commission of Ohio will schedule a hearing.  The award is not paid until the Industrial Commission issues a final decision.

Awards are paid based on two-thirds of the injured worker’s average weekly wage but may not exceed the maximum of one-third of the statewide average weekly wage. The award is paid in one lump sum. Receiving this award is not a settlement of your claim.

Scheduled Loss:

Scheduled loss awards provide compensation for the amputation, loss of use of a specific body part(s), loss of vision, loss of hearing or ankylosis of a specific body part due to a work-related injury or occupational disease. This type of compensation may be received in addition to other types of compensation.

Unlike Percentage of Permanent Partial Disability, an application for Scheduled Loss may be submitted at any time during the life of your worker’s compensation claim.  It is paid in biweekly installments and is paid at 100 percent of the statewide average weekly wage.

To start the process, a motion must be filed with supporting medical documents to the BWC.  There are specific guidelines for the medical support needed for this type of award, therefore it usually requires requesting reports and evidence from your medical providers.

We can help:

The process of filing for compensation may seem overwhelming to the injured worker; however, our firm will walk you through each step of the process. Having an attorney that knows the process and how the system works helps you receive the maximum benefits and saves you time and hassle. Let us do the hard work for you. If you’re unsure if you’ve received either award or even if you have, contact our office for help determining the next steps

Contact Us

We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. Please call our office or use the quick contact form below.